"The Best of Second Life" is the name of an in-world group 1200+ members strong, and also the name of a blog run by group co-founder Jenn Hienrichs. I met her in-world recently, and asked her to select ten of her very favorite "Landmarks of the Day", quality sites worth visiting. With the world growing so fast, I'm not surprised that I only knew about half her selections. For instance, while most Residents are familiar with Robbie Dingo's classic machinima recreation of Van Gogh's "Starry Night", I didn't know another group of Residents had created a permanent "Starry" installation you can visit in person. Jenn generously offers links and summaries of her top ten after the break.
"Here you go in no particular order--
- Our very first LM of the Day and a place you can't be SL without: Greenies
- For its pure beauty in architecture and its amazing amount of art: Dresden Gallery
- Virtual Starry Night--I love the interaction you have with the art here.
- Adam Ramona's Garden of Immersive Sounds. Just love the way this place works--really amazing!
- Ir Shalom: An amazing build, Holocaust Historical Museum here, as well as a SL's first city for Jewish Residents...an amazing temple (largest modern temple in Second Life), you've got to see this build.
- Clock Island: I know you have this too, but it's amazing.
- San Francesco Assisi. OMG--it's ll i can say.
- Vietnam Veteran's Memorial: The Wall. I love when SL is more accurate than real life! This sim is more than accurate, they were able to find names that were left off the wall in D.C. as well as correct (I believe) a few.
- Wow, I only have room for one more-- I was debating on picking a beautiful place like Svarga, but everyone knows Svarga...or Straylight, same again. So I'm going with Clangers Inventions, an island completely fantastical-
[I]f you have anyone wondering more about the group, please tell them that there's an HQ in Tintafel [SLURL teleport at this link]. They can get info about joining the group, or just hang out at the place, there are gardens up on the roof, an aquarium in the basement, and a cafe where this SLURL will lead them--that's where the main info place is."