Here's a collection of New World Notes posts from 2011 which generated the most page views. Interestingly, the most read post by far was not directly about Second Life, but about Google's (ongoing) policy of banning pseudonymous names from its social network, a post picked up by Techmeme, which went viral soon after. Other posts exploded due to reader recommendations (thank you!), Tweets by follks like William Gibson, traffic from big sites like Boing Boing and Kotaku, and online communities like Reddit and Stumbleupon. I'm also grateful to see a nice mix of SL and non-SL posts being popular. As Linden Lab itself expands its development to other games besides Second Life, so, I suspect, will New World Notes.
Here's 2011's top SL-related NWN posts:
- Game God Will Wright Joins Linden Lab's Board of Directors!
- Interview with Rod Humble, Linden Lab's New CEO, on the Future of Second Life
- Second Life's Survival Seriously Threatened by Second Life Users' Hate and Fear of Change
- Newt Gingrich's Second Life: The Leading GOP Presidential Candidate Visited the Virtual World With All-Female Avatar Bodyguards, Suggested Congress Meet in SL Too
- Meeroos Starving Due to SL Griefers Selling Fraudulent Food & Linden Lab Closing Their Legitimate Food Source
- William Gibson Wants to See a Mixed Reality Photo Blog (Pictured above)
- The Myth of Second Life's Failure to Go Big: It Wasn't Lack of Practical Applications, But Poor Execution & Market Timing
- Felicia Day's Dragon Age II Character Tallis Needs a Virtual Fashion Makeover -- Here's How She Should Look!
- Why Second Life Can't Survive on Its Current Users Alone (And Why Only Mass Growth Will Save It)
- Linden Lab Adds Avatar Physics (I.E. Bouncing Breasts) to Latest Second Life Dev Viewer, Here's How to Get Them
- Virtual Pet Owners Now Hiring Virtual Pet Sitters
And here's most of NWN's top gaming/technology-related posts for 2011:
- Valve Writer Erik Wolpaw on Rick, Under-Appreciated Star of Portal 2
- NEA Now Awarding Grants to Gaming & Machinima: Huge Milestone in Recognizing Games as Art
- Google Confirms: Non-Real Name Google Profiles Risk Suspension (I.E., Google Still Doesn’t Get Social)
- Moral Revolution: About Half Who Played Deus Ex's Malik Mission Earned the Difficult "Good Soul" Achievement
- Bitcoin Can't Be Free from the Powers That Be, Because It Rides on Rails That They Control
- John Carmack on Euclideon's Unlimited Detail Demo, Notch's Reaction To It & Carmack's Own Plans for a Voxel Renderer
I'm probably missing a few biggies -- if so, please remind me in Comments!