Here's one last look at some of the Second Life Residents profiled in New World Notes last year, people featured here because they're interesting, but as a nice side effect, utterly demolish the tired stereotypes of who participates in virtual worlds, and why. (Click to enlarge if you're so inclined.)
Clockwise from top left, they are:
Ana Alves (Irah Anatine in SL), a Portuguese metaverse developer who managed Second Life projects for members of the European Union parliament and even traveled to Iraq to speak about SL to Iranian refugees in that country.
- Laika Saintlouis and Stella Semaphore, a Second Life fashion blogger and designer who are a real life couple and exude big city ironic hipster-tude in both worlds.
- Martina Karapetrić & Morana Saračević (Vitabela Dubrovna & Precious Restless in SL), real life twins and fashion designers who own a boutique in Zagreb, and sell virtual versions of their designs in SL.
- Kudzumai Kinomis, a new media student in Europe who joined Second Life to write a report on it, but stayed to, well, become a furry horse girl.
- Gillian Tunney (Delaney Whippet in SL), an artist and web developer who creates content in SL and dances with real fire.
- Aston Leisen, a new media professor living near Shanghai who created the acclaimed China sim in SL, uses Second Life as a teaching tool, but worries that his government may one day shut Chinese access to the metaverse. (Hence the anonymous photo.)