"AM Radio: The Bansky of Second Life", was by far my very favorite New World Notes post of 2014 -- though technically, it wasn't published on this blog, but on Polygon. However, it's very much the kind of post that New World Notes was founded to launch, over 10 years ago. I hope you read it during these waning days of 2014.
And here's my favorite posts which actually ran on NWN, both by Janine "Iris" Hawkins (my indispensable writing partner here), and myself:
- The Best Thing About Her Isn't the AI/Human Romance, But the Cultural Changes the Romance Creates (January)
- Versu's Epilogue: How an Interactive Fiction Pioneer's 15 Year Project Ended Up in Limbo at Linden Lab (March)
- danah boyd on the VR Community's Response to Her Research Suggesting VR May Make Most Women Sick (April)
- With Announcement of Second Life 2, SLers Must Consider Embracing Virtual Worlds Unlike What They Know Now (July)
- Reddit's /AskWomen: Awesome Virtual Community Helping Men Understand Women, One Clueless Question at a Time (July)
- Acclaimed Second Life Creator Alina Lyvette Describes Her First Life in Putin's Russia (August)
- RIP Robin Williams, Roleplay Gamer (August)
- The Game Industry is Getting Torn Apart by a Tiny Anti-Feminist Movement (October)
- A Law Professor's Brilliant Solution to Curb Online Harassment: Strip Anonymity Privileges from Abusers (October)
- Journalist Critical of GamerGate Posts Best Critique of GamerGate Directly in GamerGate Forum (October)
- From Second Life to Victoria's Secret: How Angela Jarman's Wings Wound Up on the World's Most Watched Runway (December)
- Why Jenn Frank's Back Writing About Games & Second Life - Despite Gamergate
Any readers' favorites I missed? I hope you post the link in Comments below. Happy New Year, and see you in 2015.