Written by myself and others, here are NWN posts from last year that I think best capture the culture of Second Life:
- "Fighting the Front": The European far right is beset by exploding pig grenades and holographic train engines.
- "Spy Game": Corporate espionage with real world consequences comes to the metaverse.
- "All About My Avatar: Kazuhiro Aridian": A brilliant creator of avatars from a dark future explains her vision. "It is painful, skeletal, ethereal and almost human, but things like the inverted knees and enlongated hands make it not human at all. Even with all this painful metal, it retains a human face, almost as a mockery of humanity. Pain is the strongest physical feeling, and it's an attractive expression, visually..."
- "Onder's Game - City of Lost Angels": My occasional correspondent of the in-world game scene explores the complex culture of play in Suzanne Soyinka's fantastic cyber-goth RPG.
- "All About My Avatar: Tasrill Sieyes": The man who turned Duchamp's legendary "Nude" into an avatar provides an equally compelling profile on identity and expression via abstract avatars: "When I am abstract, I don't have to worry about the preconceived notions of gender, race, or anything else but someone’s view on abstract art. I can just be pure intellect..."