I better post our VR/VW predictions for 2015 before we get any deeper into this year, or for that matter, incoming news (like this) makes them already seem outdated. Here's my favorite from our open forum:
- The Oculus Rift will not be made available for general consumer use this year. Instead, they'll expand their beta developer program throughout 2015. (Hamlet Au)
- "Second Life 2" and High Fidelity will both be out in Beta this year (RoblemVR)
- When it comes to virtual world software, both Linden Lab and High Fidelity will be medium to small players. (Anonymous)
- A large chunk of SL users will abandon Second Life for SL2, leading to a loss of 5000 to 7000 regions in the first year of SL 2. (OU812)
- "I don't expect to see anything dramatic in terms of virtual worlds this year, it's much too soon." (Ciaran Laval)
- Virtual land in SL 2 will be substantially larger (4096x4096 meters) and substantially cheaper "while the Lab will take 30% cut from content sales". (Cube Republic)
Some of these are mutually exclusive and/or subject to interpretation -- but that just means a fun debate in late December!